August 21, 2012 § 1 Comment
“Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.”
- Republican Party platform, August 20, 2012
- Source: CNN
- Context: CNN has recently attained a copy of the Republican Party’s platform draft language, which includes a tough stance against abortion. The platform does not make any exceptions for cases of rape, incest, or when the mothers life is in danger. The statement still needs to be approved by the full platform committee on Tuesday and by delegates to the Republican National Convention next week. This leak comes at a bad time for the Republican Party, which is facing tough criticism over Todd Akin’s recent comments on rape.
August 20, 2012 § 2 Comments
“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
- Todd Akin, Republican Congressman from Missouri, August 19, 2012
- Source: Fox2Now St. Louis (video)
- Context: Todd Akin is vehemently anti-abortion, and this has shown in his voting record. He is currently running for a seat on the Senate in Missouri.