July 30, 2012 § Leave a comment
“It is a bunch of old white guys. Unfortunately, a lot of them are fat like me. We need to basically broaden the base. We need to have more women. We need to have more Latinos. We need to have more African Americans.”
- Edward Rollins, Republican strategist, July 10, 2011
- Source: Fox News via The Huffington Post (video)
- Context: Rollins was asked by the Fox News host about the criticism of the Republican Party that it is “just a bunch of old white guys.” Although having the support of just over half of the White Caucasian population of the United States, the Republican Party has found it difficult to expand its voter base amongst minorities. His voice is among several that urge the party to expand its base, citing that demographic changes could make the party irrelevant in the coming decades.
July 21, 2012 § Leave a comment
“I have to say that Congresswoman Michele Bachmann’s outrageous and false charges against a top aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Huma Abedin reaches that threshold.
Her unsubstantiated charge against Abedin, a widely respected top aide to Secretary Hillary Clinton, accusing her of some sort of far-fetched connection to the Muslim brotherhood, is extreme and dishonest.
Having worked for Congressman Bachman’s campaign for president, I am fully aware that she sometimes has difficulty with her facts, but this is downright vicious and reaches the late Senator Joe McCarthy level.”
- Edward Rollins, Michele Bachmann’s former campaign chief, July 18, 2012.
- Source: Opinion Piece by Edward Rollins for Fox News
- Context: Michele Bachmann recently accused Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s Chief of Staff Huma Abedin as being associated with the Muslim Brotherhood. This false accusation has drawn fierce criticism, including from John McCain (video). Rollins goes on to say:
“The Republican Party, which John McCain led as our nominee in 2008, is going to become irrelevant if we become the party of intolerance and hate.”
“As a member of Congress, with a seat on the House Intelligence Committee, Mrs. Bachmann you know better. Shame on you, Michele! You should stand on the floor of the House and apologize to Huma Abedin and to Secretary Clinton and to the millions of hard working,loyal, Muslim Americans for your wild and unsubstantiated charges. As a devoted Christian, you need to ask forgiveness for this grievous lack of judgment and reckless behavior.”